Monday 15 September 2008

Then and Now


It feels like opening the fridge door again as I opened the door sending hubby off to work.
Summer seems to be ending soon.

3 more weeks and we’d be back in SG. The weather now reminds us of the first time when we set foot here - cold, rainy and gloomy. Yet the feelings have changed.

5 months ago, I yearned for sunshine and felt depressed because of the cold and gloomy weather. Now, I’m wondering how long more I get to experience such weather.

5 months ago, 6 months to me seems like forever.
Now, time flies...too fast in fact, I thought.

5 months ago, the tears were triggered by the thought of leaving home.
Now, the tears flowed just by the watching the Zurich lake from the train.

5 months ago, I have only one home.
Now, I have a second place to call home.

This place will hold all my complex emotions – fear, disgruntled, sadness, depress, longing, happiness, joy, awe, envy, peace, gratitude ……and the place will hold my fond memories.

I have grown attached to this place it seems. It’s strange how one’s feelings and thoughts can change overtime.

The thought of going back home seems to weigh me down a little for it means going back to reality - squeezing into the MRT with the expressionless commuters in the morning, the need to engage in a faster pace of life, having to meet deadlines, having to think “what’s today’s task” instead of “what to cook” today…back to the routine of doing the things I used to do.

What we miss much would be the weekend hikes we’ve had here. Switzerland has so many places to explore, so it’s not a wasted trip for me even though I didn’t travel to other parts of Europe like what others said I should have. I can always travel to Europe anytime as a tourist, but I’ll never be able experience much of Switzerland as I had as a resident.

I wonder if the Swiss themselves ever have finished travelling within their own country in their lifetime. They are truly blessed with a beautiful land and I know they too, cherish what they have.

I suppose it’s just human nature to long for things that are of no permanence and perhaps this makes us cherish and appreciate them more.

Anyway, it seems that there might be a Föhn this coming Wednesday. Hopefully I’d be able to capture the alps clearly this time and admire their beauty and magnificence for the last time. I sounded like a dying man, hahahaha ;D

No comments: