Wednesday 24 September 2008

Flumserberg - Part 1

As I was doing research for Heidiland and Sargans, I chanced upon this place called Flums and Flumserberg. Since we can't go Pizol, might as well go for Flumserberg, which is another mountain and nearer to Zurich. This I suppose, would be our last mountain trip in Switzerland.


I prefer these older trains than the newer local S-Bahn trains as they are more spacious and have bigger windows.


To go Flumserberg, you'll need to stop at Unterterzen Station, which is about an hour's ride with a change at Ziegelbrücke.













It's strange that these sheep are kept here on a small hill just next to the cable car station. I wonder if they ever get tired standing on the slope grazing.








The entrance to the gondola lift (aka cable car) up to Tannenbodenalp (1400m), mid-way of Flumserberg.

Why is this cable car so much smaller than the one Uncle Tan took to Chaserrugg?


Tip of the day: Never share the same cable as Ah Kin - you're not allowed to move and you'll hear screams.




Uncle Tan finding joy in Ah Kin's fear. I hate it each time the cable passes the pole with the pulleys as it will shake when it was given a push. Mid-way, we were joined by another couple, this made it even more difficult for me for I couldn't possibly tell the couple not to move around...and I can't scream...

Finally......
We saw a couple of these 'artistic' works by the Swiss cows on the roads. Hmmm...there must be something going on here. Then I remembered that it was the day where the cows would go back to the farms for winter. The cows here so good life huh :)






Even thou you can see the blue skies, it was a cloudy & misty day where we couldn't have a clear view of the alps opposite.
An acorn tree

I wonder how long these residents need to drive down down the mountains. Of course, taking the gondola is the fastest and more direct way.

Pine trees are abundant here.

大地在我脚下!
The world is under my feet!

My new pair of gloves..."I Need it". Sounds familiar Eunice? hehe ;p

Taking a bite at the Toblerone chocolate. Btw, Toggenberg could also be seen from here.


Since not many people around, so can take all sorts of weird shots ;p

A nice aroma was coming from this restaurant, so without further ado, lunch time!

Notice the blue sky before we went into this restaurant.


A nice cozy restaurant with the Swiss decor. Look at the huge cowbells.


We had a pleasant surprise when we realised that this restaurant also houses a mini cheese and butter making factory. The chef is moulding the butter now. The waitress told us that this would be the last batch of butter they are making as the cows have all 'gone home' with their farmers.


We love Swiss tuna salads. They are always so refreshing and not too tangy. But I prefer the tuna we ate at Heidiland which I believe they have added some seasonings to it.

Finally I can have pure Schwine sausages (thou I'm not sure if it's 100% pork as unlike the German sausages, the Swiss like to mix pork, beef and sometimes turkey or chicken meat into their sausages. Uncle Tan said they even wanted to have their sausage patented)

Those who have been here and eaten the sausages, you would agree that the sausages they have here are crunchier right? I wonder if they are supposedly healthier too hehe ;p


A healthy and satisfying lunch.


After lunch, we went down to their basement to look at where they kept the cheese. Separated by a glass window, I wonder how the smell ;p



By the time we were out, the place got misty again.

As we walked out of the restaurant, we heard cow bells from afar and saw the shepherd with his herd. We guess it could be the last batch going down to the farms in Flums. Since Uncle Tan's legs are longer than mine, I told him to chase after them first. Although the herd seemed very near us, they are in fact quite far away and they were moving too fast. So we couldn't catch a shot of them.

But we saw their remains nonetheless and the herd was actually sheep and not cows.

As we headed back to the gondola station, a stream of cute vintage cars passed by. Some of them even slowed down for us to take picture even thou their cars were already pretty slow moving ;p


Apparently there was a gathering of some sort where some of them dressed up in their vintage attires and headed off to the restaurant nearby.




Below me are the 'fixed' caravans where the locals stay. Initially I thought they were shelters for the caravans but upon close examination, they are actually fixed to the structure.

No comments: