Saturday 27 September 2008

Last day in office

Thursday was Uncle Tan's last day at his Zurich office. Following the Swiss tradition, he bought some pastries and chocolates for his colleagues as a form of farewell. I also baked a bread for his colleagues and brought it to his office. Fortunately, the bread turned out fine despite my 'agaration' :)



I finally get to meet most of his colleagues whom I always hear about them from Uncle Tan. A number of them are pretty young. And good looking too hehe :) Most of them are Swiss, one from Austria, one from France, a few from Italy...We did our job of promoting Singapore and some of them who might be going to SG :) Yeah Ms Wong, we'd definitely arrange a session with you ;>

Due to confidentiality, I'd only show those pictures that were taken out of the office.

They are jovial and friendly and after meeting them, I now know why Uncle Tan is happy working here. I would be too :)

Nice colleagues and physical office aside, the work load seems manageable. Or perhaps there were less expectations since he's here on an exchange programme? People get to go back on time (which I believe makes sense as some of them live a distance away with infrequent train timings) and they are flexible in their working hours.

For the past 5 mths, I hardly see his tired eyes. He gets to come back on time if not the latest by 7pm. Of course there were busy periods, especially with the recent financial crisis. But I don't see him as stressed as when he was in Singapore. We spent more time talking in fact since I always get to hear interesting issues from his discussions with his colleagues.

Are we born workaholics or are we afraid to lose out or lag behind? Or do we have too many desires and financial commitments so we have to work extra hard?

Anyways, another 3 more days I'd be back in the tropical island where there's sun, sand and sea...and 4.8 million people (latest population stats). Geeze...Switzerland has about 7.5 million people with a land size of about 41,290 sq km compared to our 699.1 sq km.

No comments: