Wednesday 3 September 2008

Medieval Festival in Zurich (22-24 Aug)

Welcome to the medieval fest where you see ancient living come alive!


The dragon will lead you the way......



A group of artisans displaying their great skills.

The ancient way of making weapons and tools. First, you need to put the iron into the flames for it to heat up till it's red hot, next you will forge the iron by hitting it with the hammer while it's still hot and soft. Hence, the saying "strike while the iron is hot" and the Chinese saying "打铁趁热".

The instrument to bind paper and the man explaining how papyrus is made.

A shoe-maker with a cute wig ;p Hmm...wonder if his elves will come to help him out at night :)

Here's one making a bow.

Grandma demonstrating weaving. Now I know that those woolly threads were actually made by weaving the wool together with the thread. It's not easy using this ancient method ya.

The weaving 'machine'. Looks kinda complicated.



Imagine all these are handmade. No wonder the 2 stores selling these kitchenware have the most customers.


You could also have a hands-on weaving session here. This boy has a pair of nimble hands :)

What's a festival without food? :>



Think this should be roast lamp. The guy on the right is scraping off the burnt cheese from the frying pan.

Cooking mixed gemuse (aka vegetables) in a big pot. The folks are having a hearty meal ya :)


Some shopping after food :)

These cute little logs have drawers. They don't come cheap too.

The happy hats ladies :) and on the left are the ancient writing instruments.

Melting the candle wax to make a seal imprint. One of my favourites.


This boy is so focused on his stone work :>

A pretty pendant
There are some who wore ancient costumes to attend this festival. The materials were kinda heavy thou and they come with a heavy price tag too :)

Bows for sale

I bought one of these but a different design. It makes a cute birdie sound when you add water to it.
Gasp! Someone trying to assassinate me!

Kin: Haha! I see you. You think I'd be destroyed so easily??

Wee: Humph! I'll defeat you with this!

Wee: And I have the protective shield too.

Kin: Hah! My sword is bigger and longer than yours! I can easily slay you with one swoop!

Kin: Don't forget, I'm also "Ah Kin, the Ripper"! Ngiak! Ngiak! Ngiak!

Wee: Oh I admit defeat the Great One! The fly swapper shall be my witness!


Kin: Oh well, since you've admitted defeat, I shall award you with this Ah Kin's shield to protect you from danger. Meanwhile, go brush up your skills.





You can learn your shooting and aiming skills here.


Time for some music and games.







Even he is so engrossed in the performance.


Baa baa black sheep, have you any wool?
Dear sir, you could get them here. One from my mama, one from my pa, and one hanging over there was my dar dar's....
The sheep look so real!

Having a taste of being an 'ancient prisoner'.

Uncle Tan got real excited seeing these...and couldn't resist putting the heavy helmet on.

I wonder how you fight with these helmets blocking your view...

If you are prone to getting your fingers cut, you might wanna consider wearing this ;>

A cool pose.

Still remember this 'antique' toy?

It was raining on and off on Saturday and at times, it became very heavy suddenly and we had to seek shelter from the tents. Still, that didn't stop the rest from enjoying the performance on stage.
Not him either. Hey this is actually quite a good raincoat but not advisable for a heavy downpour thou :)
I guess strip in the middle had affected the sight of this fella who had some difficulty in looking at my camera ;p

Albeit the festival is a small one, confined to a small area in old town, it was a fascinating experience for both of us, especially for Uncle Tan who had finally come into physical contact with the knights and medieval characters whom he had read on books. A pity there were no dragons thou ;>

No comments: