Wednesday 9 April 2008

Guten Morgen

TV programmes are all in German. Likewise for English programmes, except for MTV channel and one channel that allows to change the mode to English language. So MobTV became my TV TV source for the timebeing...it's also a way for me to keep in touch with S'p. But it takes a long time to download the dramas...not a worthwhile investment cos it only allows you to watch MediaCorp's productions. Those blockbuster movies, anime, overseas cartoons, Korean dramas etc are not included in this package that I've signed up. Sharks...thought I could catch my Mystery Martin and other interesting cartoons on Kids Central...

But managed to watch learn how to watch some of the shows here thou they are in Swiss German. At least for movies, can still watch the actions :)

Anyway, my dear friend, Aggie, had introduced me some 'free to watch' sites which had managed to keep her happily occupied in Japan. I haven't had time to watch it yet cos have been busy updating my blog, emailing, yahoo messaging my mum, msn-ing my friends & grocery shopping cos my fridge isn't big enough to stock up, plus I have no chiller. Sometimes I wish I could stay on higher level so that I can leave some food outside the house and have some extra space in the fridge for other food ;p

Not all people here speak English here. Uncle Tan only had a month crash course in German, so what he knows is rather limited. There was once we went to Roli's, the nearest grocery shop, to buy some veg and eggs. There was this helpful old lady who came forward to offer her help. She spoke in German and little English. So we asked her if they sell eggs. She couldn't understand, so Uncle Tan had to imitate a chicken laying eggs ;D I had a good laugh there...should have take a video of it. She understood and it seems that they pronounced it as 'airg' rather than our 'ayeg'.

And later we realised that she wasn't the shop owner there but a customer like us. I thought that was nice of her :) Somehow I prefer the older folks. Friendlier and more helpful. Erm...slightly different from our aunties in S'p huh...of course, there are also the helpful and friendly ones besides the KS ones in S'p :>

Am doing some last minute learning of German via Google translation so at least I know how to differentiate chicken, pork and beef. We ordered 'poulet rice' that day thinking that it was pork since both starts with 'P', we realised later that it's chicken. Pork here is 'Schweinefleish' so it's 'Schwein' for pig (similar to 'swine' in English for pig).

Sometimes when we tried to ask a question in German, we get a long string of reply in German. They speak so fast that we couldn't quite catch it. So everything is 'aga-ration' :)

The cleaner came yesterday to change the towels, bedsheets and clean the place. They will come on every Tues afternoon and they have our keys as well. So we lock up our stuff just in case, but I suppose it should be safe anyway. There are 3 of them and they are pretty quick. One change bedsheet and towels in the bathroom and replenish the toilet paper, one vacuum and mop the floor with some general wiping of the cupboards and one change the garbage bag and clean the kitchen. I suppose not much cleaning needs to be done since windows are closed most of the time so not much dust to speak of, except bread crumbs hehe ;p The breads here are very crusty and crumbly.

I wanted to change my pot so prepared a list of sentences in German (with the help of Google translation) and was struggling to speak in German to the lady. In the end, I just pass her the paper and phew, she understood and got me another pot. Finally, a proper pot with a lid :)

Supposed to go grocery shopping with Noeline today but we took the wrong tram so ended up in Bahnhofstrasse, aka Orchard Rd in S'p. So ended up taking a walk there. And you know what, Bata, is considered branded there and is 'Made in Italy'. The range is different and they sell jackets as well. Noeline bought a pair red boots under the 'Good Price' section which cost about 29.90 Fr which we thought was a good deal and it looked good. Without hesitation, I told her to get it. The boots must have been screaming ' Get me! Get me!' hahaha....

So we walked around and saw a lifestyle shop selling kitchenwares, bath accessories and furniture. Prices wise somewhat like Barang Barang and Tangs. Will definitely visit that shop again since it's also my hubby's fav besides grocery shopping.

Went to H&M, somewhat like U2 in S'p according to my hubby's colleague but Noeline told me the prices are more like Dorothy Perkins.

Then we went into Sprungli, the famous chocolate shop here ;d Bought 2 small boxes at 6.90 Fr each just to try. This has got liquor in it. Yummm......



Truffle chocs


Going grocery shopping in the afternoon cos my friends would be arriving tomorrow.
So excited, company at last :) For the last few days, after my hubby comes back from work, I'd be busy rattling off what I did for the day...haha, deprived of talking. Fortunately there's video call in msn which I could still talk to my mum and cousins. So if you have msn, feel free to message me or call me via msn hehe :O)

No comments: