Wednesday 2 April 2008

Days before going Zurich

A week before departure
I suffered panic attack. Not sure if it's somewhat like a self-fulling thingy or it's a natural reaction to fear. Fear of the unknown. I suppose it's in my family's genes where we tend to think too much and worry a lot.

What can I do there alone in the apartment when my hubby works? Where can I go when I know nuts about the place and face language barrier as not all of them speak English? I'm so worried I'd be bored with no one to talk to. What happens if I fall sick there? How can I survive in a place with the non-Asian food? Will I be able to adjust to the time difference?...

Fortunately, I had work to keep me busy and distracted, and the lunches with colleagues always help to get me distracted and de-stress.

My last day in office
Somehow I couldn't control. Perhaps I've been bottling up for too long, perhaps I wasn't mentally prepared to leave, perhaps I couldn't bear to leave the people there who have been so nice to me.

The departure day
I hugged my hubby and cried after receiving well wishes from calls and smses. At that moment, I just felt I'm very blessed to have friends, family and colleagues who are so nice to me...it makes me even sadder to leave...

Yes it's only for 6 mths...it's my first time to a foreign land, far away from my home, having to be alone whilst my hubby works in the day.

My aunts, uncle and cousins together with my mum, my brother and Kelly sent us off. My hubby's colleague and his wife came as well. Thought that was a nice gesture and fortunately, it wasn't a sad goodbye. They had to go off ealier as our flight was delayed till 2am.

Plane ride
We walked past the business class seats before arriving at ours. I recalled the article by Sumiko Tan where she shared her flight experience and her views on business class vs economy class. The class difference...It was worse when I saw our seats. I recalled my last trip taking SQ was when our flight was delayed and Swiss Air had arranged for SQ to send us back. The seats were spacious and bright. Fortunately I didn't know that SQ still has these older planes, otherwise it might as well add on to my panic attack. Both of us suffered butt-ache.

I couldn't really sleep while the stewardess serve supper at 3am and the lights only managed to turn off at 5am.

No comments: