Sunday 6 April 2008

1st Day in Zurich

8.30am, Zurich time (2.30pm, S'p time)
I could feel the cold, crisp air as I disembarked from the plane. It's not the aircon from the airport, but the natural air in Zurich. I've survived the 12-hr flight.

Had a deja vu as we took the escalator down to catch the train that brings us to the place to collect our luggage. I had dreamt that I went to the apartment to collect something, and that place was where we took the train.

It was drizzling. We walked out of the airport to get a cab. It was cold. The cab to our apartment which is a 30-min drive, cost us 59 Swiss Francs (S$80.83). The ride wasn't as scenic as I had expected. It was rather gloomy (partly because of the weather) and looked rather 'industralised' to me.

We arrived at a greyish looking building which reminds me of those old apartments found in HK.
The apartment is on the 1st floor or 2nd level if you compare it to the HDB flat in S'p.

This is the street where we stay- Zelgstrasse.

It's a nice little 1-bedroom apartment with a spacious living room, which can definitely house my 4 friends who'd be coming over. No musty smell and it's well-kept with Ikea furniture. I suppose only in temperate countries can Ikea furniture last cos the Ikea shelf that I bought became mouldy within its first year in my home.

The metal blinds/shades. It's a daily task for me to draw up and down the blinds cos I prefer the house to be bright in the day. As we're located on the first floor, Uncle Tan says it's better to keep the blinds down at night or when we're out of the house for safety reasons.

The view in our bedroom was better but because of safety reasons, Uncle Tan 'advised' me against drawing up the blinds as far as possible.

The windows are shut most of the time to keep out the cold air. I'd just leave one slightly ajar in the morning to allow some fresh air in.


The kitchen is fully equipped (almost, as I have a missing lid for my pot). There's a microwave, an oven and even a dish washer.


I was a little homesick thou when we started packing. After some reassurance from my hubby, I felt slightly better. So we started to do some packing and we decided took a walk to my hubby's office so as to get himself familiarised with the route as he had to go to work on the following day. It was a 15-min walk to Sihl City, where his office is located. It's suppose to be a big shopping centre in Zurich. Well, for shopaholics, Takashimaya would have more stuff :)

It was about 9 degree celcius that day. I wore 4 layers and made our walking trip there for we are more confident of walking to that place than taking a bus. It was c...ccold. My face was frozen as the wind blew. My smile was fixed then...


By 7-ish after dinner, my eyelids were so heavy that I went to bed shortly.

No comments: