Sunday 2 September 2007

Army Open House 2007

It's finally here, the Army Open House 2007 :)




I was there 3 years ago & was thrilled to have tried the live firing with SAR 21 assault rifle. I screamed 4 out of 5 times each time I shot the target...hehe, my natural instinct for sudden loud noises. This time, I was better prepared. Not only did I not scream, I even got myself the marksman badge ;) (of course it's not the real thing loh, cos the real one is made of cloth & will even receive $500!).

When the officer said we could receive a marksman badge if we could hit the target with all the 5 shots, I gave myself that challenge - to get the badge (it was later then I realised they also gave it to kids as a souvenir...oh well, at least I felt that sense of achievement when I 'earned' the badge ;p) With the distractions around me ie. impact of the recoil from those who were shooting beside me & my target kept moving down as it was being shot by someone, I told myself to focus on my target. One...two...three...four...ok, the final shot. Take my time...never mind if I'm the last to finish, aim at the target...Shoot!

But I must say it's actually the improvement of the scope that makes it easy to aim. & my ex-boss was the pioneer involved in the conceptualisation of this weapon.

Hey, I really enjoyed that mental process going on in my head & I've experienced how it felt to stay focused & achieving the goal. Of course, the encouragement that the officer has given for each successful shot had boosted my morale too :)

So if you're a boss, a supervisor, a parent, a teacher etc. positive reinforements work on boosting morale & confidence :)

Hooked on the shooting, I went for the blank rounds to have a try again on the SAR 21 & the GPMG (General Purpose Machine Gun - which I kept recalling it as MPMG - Multi-Purpose Machine Gun ;p Must've had too much of multi-tasking...) At last, I have the chance to hold the gun by myself without it being tied & placed on a sandbag like the one at the live firing (for safety reasons).



Yes, the machine gun! The officer explained how I should fire & placing his hand at the back of the machine gun to dampen the recoil impact which was much stronger than SAR 21. As it was my 1st time, naturally a scream followed after a shot. It was Shiokadooze!

I actually had to use 2 fingers in order to be able to pull the trigger... If I have the chance again next time, I'd request for aiming at target to experience the real recoil impact :)A pity I didn't try the Mortal Combat where it's a 2-sided 'mock' battle with real guns with laser detection harness. If only more of my cousins are here...oh well, if I were them, I'd give the tuition or holiday work a miss. It's a live lesson that you don't get to learn in the classroom. After the firing rounds, we went for makan. We also tried some samples of the combat ration which is surprisingly yummy. No wonder they are 'controlled items' :p

Uncle Wee drinking the SAF New Water. My younger cousin gulped down the whole cup as it was refreshingly cold. When I explained to him in simple terms how the water came about, he was stunned...I should've taken a picture his shocked look ;p




3rd Generation of SAF
This is the Leopard tank that was launched at the AOH 07 by Dr Ng Eng Hen. It will eventually replace the SM1 Tank that my hubby used to command. Definitely much more technologically advanced.
With the advancement, the NS men are now more 'hor mia' (good life). Gone are the days with soft squeeky beds, 'diahorrea' food, washing the dishes, toilet etc. They have thick dunlop mattresses, Singapore Food Industry to provide food & even have mobile washing machines, dryers & toilets.
Oh, I took a pic of the ladies too. I suppose it has been converted from the gents.



Battle Ride World
We took the Bronco cos we've taken the M113 before & the rest were either full house or timing was too late. Had eaten quite a lot of dust too along the way ;p

Video:
Moving through the battlefield Part 1
Moving through the battlefield Part 2



Felicia Chin was there for the performance. It started pouring just as she got off the stage. It was a real heavy downpour. Fortunately, it stopped just when it was time for our ride in the Mission World.

Mission World
We were taken into a room for briefing before taking the SAF 5-tonners & guided by the SAF Commando. We saw the Mine Clearing Vehicle, the Mortar Track Carrier, SM1 tanks, Light Strike Vehicle, BIONIX 2MT & BIONIX 25mm. The reconnaissance forces also boarded our tonner to provide an intelligence update on the movement of enemy convoy. My favourite part is of course the live firing by the SM1 tank. The recoil impact seemed to have stopped my heartbeat for a moment.





Because of the Q & the rain, we were not able to cover all the 'Worlds'. So before we left the place, we went to Fear Factor Land. But because we were in our slippers/sandals, we couldn't try the Flying Fox. So ended up trying the less adventurous stuff.


I must say we were impressed by the pro-activeness of the personnel who were on duty. They came forward to offer their help in directing us to the locations even before we approach them. This young NSMen had approach us & made a sword for my little cousin :)

Definitely looking forward to the next Open House & will aim to complete the whole trail next round :)

No comments: