Wednesday 19 September 2007

A Rude Auntie

I never knew the extreme extent of ungraciousness until I met this 2 fellas whom I believe are Indonesians. I hope they are just tourists & not our PR here as I don't want them to smear our reputation.

Was looking for seats at the Wisma foodcourt last Monday for lunch & we went over to a table with 4 empty seats. An Indian couple went over to take the other 2 vacant seats. As we were deciding what to eat whilst standing at our seats (I remember placing my hand on my seat whilst thinking of what to order). A rude lady came & sat down with her plate of fried hokkien mee without asking. The guy went ahead to put his bag on my seat after the lady spoke to him in Bahasa Indonesia & left to buy food, oblivious to our existence throughout.

We were too shocked by their 'swiftness' & it took some time for us to register that they had snatched our seats. We stared at them & I was hoping to have direct eye contact with the lady. It was a futile attempt as she simply ignored us. We could have just told them that the seats were already taken. But we didn't. We were too shocked to react to be honest. We left looking for another seat but not without me making comments about their rudeness. Geeze, this is utterly rude!

I went back to snap her pic. So if you see her next time, make sure you guard your seats well.

My hubby saw the lady looking at our direction as they left the foodcourt after their meal.

I'm worried about the influx of foreigners as S'p tries to attract more of them especially with the IR coming. No doubt it's good for the economy but there's also a price to pay.

Actually I also realised that we seem to be getting ruder. A couple of times I hold the lift door for some, there wasn't even a simple 'Thank You'. Only some of the older aunties are polite enough to do so. There were 2 occasions where I was told (not asked) to hold the lift door for them for quite some time, yet, no 'Thank You' from a kid who asked me to hold the door for her 'auntie' (which was his maid) & an Indian man who asked me to hold the door for his whole family.

I wonder where our Civics & Moral Education had gone to...

Education is supposed to make us more cultured, knowledgeable & civilised, yet it seems that we see a growing number of rude, ungrateful, disrespectful, selfish, irresponsible 'educated people'.

We are rich in our knowledge, assets etc. yet poor in our values, virtues...it's sad isn't it?

No comments: