Sunday 16 September 2007

Counting our blessings

Just came back from my Krabi trip. It's been 1 year since my last trip to Tokyo, yet things have changed. Will be updating my Krabi trip in my next blog entry.

It seems that as one grows older, the baggage seems to become heavier. Even though it's just 4 days, we've packed more medication - for tummyaches, diarrhoea, burns & cuts, motion sickness, daily health (vitamins & primrose oil), insect repellants etc. I used to even laugh at my hubby for bringing along his so-called First Aid Kit for trips.

Afraid of boredom, we brought books, pen & paper (in case I've some inspiration)... my hubby even downloaded series of Jap animation from his CDs into his portable media player for our flight entertainment. For once I'm beginning to appreciate his rationale for buying gadgets.

Gosh, I've become more dependent on technology & other things for comfort.

I don't like to take things for granted, yet I think I'm guilty of it at times. I believe most of us have taken nature for granted. I feel that it's kinda late to realise the damage we've done & even now, I don't think we've taken enough efforts to try to salvage the situation.

How many of us bother to turn off the switches after we've used the equipment? How many of us are willing to walk the extra distance instead of driving or taking a cab? How many of us can sleep at night without the aircon even though it's not be the hot season? The aircon in the shopping malls are still blasting away, probably not knowing that 25˚C should be the ideal temperature or either that, they are more worried that their customers would complain about the stuffiness & not shop there anymore. I still see shoppers packing their groceries in many plastic bags. The figures on the no. plastic bags saved may sound 'impressive' but just how much can such a once-a-month campaign do to the environment which is already in a very bad shape? Could the campaign become ultimately part of our lives?

I'm counting on my blessings for each day I live. I didn't know I actually am afraid of death. When I was in Krabi on the 1st night, Indonesia had a 8.7 earthquake. I watched the news & there were some confusion as to whether there was any tsunami warning issued. I had a restless night. I was worried the waves might come at night. Our resort was just in front of the beach though we stayed on the 4th level. I didn't know how high or how strong the waves are gona be. The fear is impending. I couldn't sleep well as I was worried I might have missed the tsunami warning siren. I actually listened to the sound of waves to make sure that they are not quiet throughout the night & I even had 2 nightmares about being hit by tsunami...I can't & don't want to witness any mass casualties. I now can understand how those survivors who have gone through the disaster felt when they hear the warning.

Yet, they live on because it's their life, it's where they live & perhaps some may not even have a choice of moving somewhere else. We are very lucky in Singapore that we don't have to live in such fear & experience such catastrophes. The worst 'natural disaster' we had? Probably the flooding that had happened a couple of months back.

I feel sad for the species that are going to be extinct. The polar bears are dying because of starvation. They are not able to fish well because of the melting ice. I'm not sure how you'd feel watching a struggling bear trying to climb up onto a melting ice. Was it their fault? We have taken over their land & build our homes over theirs. What right do we have? I feel sad when masses of people died because of natural calamities caused indirectly by humans.

The weather has gone freaky. Probably in a retaliation of the things we've done. The lastest news -a budget carrier had crashed at the Phuket airport due to bad weather & the no. of casualties is still to be confirmed. Let's hope there would be more survivors.

Next time when you ask for an extra plastic bag or decide to drive to a nearby place, think of the dying polar bears. Or if you aren't an animal lover, think of the lovely beaches or beautiful things you might not be able to see in future. Or if you aren't a nature lover, think of the possible freaky weather & natural disasters that are to come - more destructive & more casualties. If you think they are not gona affect you at all, think again.

If a little inconvenience or a little miscomfort can go a long way to conserve the environment, it is worth it.

4 comments:

aluvguru said...

So you to worry so much lor. Yah, but can be quite scary.

Ah Kin said...

Ya, especially when I've read & seen so much abt it in the news...

Anonymous said...

I feel very sad and guilty towards the polar bears and all the other animals that are suffering as a result of mankind's actions. I feel even more sad that our children will miss out on getting to know these adorable animals. Isn't what we do 'manslaughter'?

Ah Kin said...

Yea..especially when you're standing in awe of nature's beauty yet wondering whether we, ourselves, are still be able to see it in the near future...

Am trying to cut down on buying unnecessary stuff & perhaps support orgs/biz that are more environmentally friendly. So u'll see me switching off the pc in office more conscienciously...cos i used to leave it on without even shutting down so dat i don't have to wait for it to start up the next day. Bad habit eh ;p