Tuesday 20 May 2008

Winterthur & IKEA

As the weekend was a rainy one, we had to change our plans and go to shopping malls instead of scenic places. So it was off to Winterthur for a walk and to take a look at its flea market followed by IKEA to check out the curtains and mattresses for my friends.



Winterthur is more known for its museums which I guess Uncle Tan wasn't keen to visit any more after his experience in Zurich. So we went down to the old town for a walk as recommended by its tourist officer there. The place was buzzing with shoppers and it has its good share of unique shops. The flea market there seems to sell more of kids' stuff as compared to the one at Burkliplatz. It's more organised thou there are less variety.




Grilled sausages with bread are a common sight here in Switzerland. You'll never miss them.

Saw this very pretty shop in Winterthur which sells figurines of angles and fairies. The decor is so pretty...couldn't resist and bought some stuff there. Uncle Tan says it's easy to make money out of women ;p



They have rubber duckies too for adoption for charity purpose, just like ours. Or did we copy their idea instead?
Chanced upon this cute shop that sells ballerina items for kids. Soooo kawai!

Lunch time!
We ordered a cappuccino and shared a thin crust pizza. The waiter is quite attentive and they even cut the pizza for us knowing that we are sharing it. I heard that there are some restaurants who scorned at people ordering just a portion to share. What to do, they have huge portions and I'm a small eater. I shouldn't waste food right?

It's the first time I ate pizza with sliced red chilli in olive oil. Unique and yummy :d




To go to Winterthur, you can take train S7 or whichever train that will pass by Winterthur as it's a place frequented by the locals. Hence the trains going there are quite frequent as compared to some other places where the frequency is usually an hour or more. There are 2 routes it takes - one with fewer in-between stops that will travel to the airport then Winterthur, it's less scenic as it travels underground; the other which is more scenic thou it has more stops and perhaps take a slightly longer time. The timing of the trains here is very very accurate, so don't bother to rush & run to chase the train if you're late cos the train leaves on the dot.

=============================================================

IKEA
We intended to go to the Ikea at Dietlikon, but we ended up at the one at Dietikon (notice the different spelling), which is less crowded, smaller and no warehouses for clothes. Cos the same train goes to these 2 places but in opposite direction. Uncle Tan specially printed the map and we thought we were at the right place until we happen to bump into his colleague, Alex, who told us we were in the wrong Ikea. No wonder we couldn't find bus 787 and had to take 303 as advised by one of the staff at the station ;p Yet, it seems that both places have the road name 'Industrialstrasse'...and both places have Ikea...and we even braved the rain to walk and try to find the warehouse and carefour but all we could see is endless grasslands...oh well, we still managed to get to Ikea anyway. Just that I was a little disappointed that there were no chicken wings for me...their hotdog bun is even smaller than those in SG which cost CHF 1.

The Ikea here is similar to the Ikea at Tampines with a mini children's playground in the restaurant. Only differences - it's less crowded and there are no aunties to clear your table. As for the items and layout, it's pretty similar and perhaps they have a few more items that are cater to the locals. Price wise is also similar except for some items, depends also on the exchange rate. Uncle Tan reminded me 'no heavy stuff' and keep telling me that we can find those items in SG.



According to Uncle Tan, he said that the meat ball tasted different from those in SG. Well, I won't know since I don't take beef, so I took the salmon instead. It tasted fishy until I ate it together with the sauce which made a lot of difference. The sauce is good & I think they added curry powder to it. If you notice, the people here are crazy about potatoes and especially fries , well it's not as oily and I'm trying to psycho myself that the fries are healthier here given the better quality of potatoes and oil ;p

There's a big shopping mall here that houses a few brands with C&A and H&M, just to name a few. The H&M here seems to be the biggest I've seen so far and they even sell kids' clothings here which I don't find them in town. And guess what, I've bought a pair of berms from the children's section there and...from the Boy's Section :p I've been trying to find the berm of the right size and length but just couldn't as they were usually either too big for my waist or my thighs. So I've found it here - right length, size, colour, design & cost about CHF 24.90 which makes the most expensive clothes item I've got so far from H&M, cheap cheap...hmm, I can see some people's eyes starting to gleam already ;p

And...the size is for boys age 9 - 10 hehe ;p


Perhaps I shall do an entry on shopping in my blog :) I even enjoyed shopping with Uncle Tan in the men's dept (known as Herren here, for ladies it's called Damen and kids, it's called Kinder) cos they have so many nice clothes for men, sometimes even nicer than ladies and I thought it's a shopping paradise for men. No wonder they dress so well.

It's not exactly very, very expensive if you know where to go and perhaps when to buy :) Of course I'm not talking about those branded stuff which I'm still trying to find out if there's a warehouse selling these. Anyone knows? So far I've only heard of Lugano with such factories but unsure what sort of brands they have and how cheap they can get.

So guys, it's not just chocolates, cheese and shopping for the girls, they have a lot of shops selling stylo milo clothes for men and even gays too :)

No comments: