Monday 9 June 2008

UEFA Euro 2008 Fever

7 Jun was the start of the Euro2008 with the opening ceremony held at Zurich stadium.

It has been raining for the past few days and fortunately, the weather became slightly better over the weekend.

The 1st match was Switzerland against Czech Republic with the score O:1.

I was told that the Swiss aren't very good in soccer so it was an expected result. Perhaps the Swiss are too gentle and maybe because they are too used to schedules and precisions, so you don't see any 'surprises' in their attacks whenever the opportunity presents itself. Wasn't an exciting game actually as it was quite a cordial game thou with much injuries where the Swiss captain had a sprained knee and was caught on camera crying. Guess it's just once in a lifetime where you'll get to play in your own country.

One of Uncle Tan's colleagues, who prefers rugby to soccer, said that he didn't like soccer because there are to much of acting. One moment you see them fall with a facial expression full of pain, the next moment you'll see him running around when the team gets a free kick. With this comment, I see soccer in a different light and paid attention to how the players fall, their facial expressions when they fall and their reactions to referee's decision. I'm not really an avid soccer fan but since I'm here and the mood is pretty happening, might as well join in the fun :) and it can be pretty interesting to see these shots of 'artistic movements' especially when they do the slow playback. And I really mean artistic as some of these actions can be quite beautiful aesthetically :)

We visited our friends cum ex-neighbour's place at Uster on Sunday. It's really a nice quaint little town, slightly more happening than Zug as there are more shops and even shopping malls. It's located pretty near the farms so it's quite quiet and occasionally you'll hear the cow bells and the sheep going 'mair...' :>

I love their place. It's about the size of a HDB 3-room flat and yet it looks roomy. Perhaps the layout is such that they have various rooms and it feels that you have a lot of space to explore :) They managed to ship their furniture here and hey, they too have the resort theme like us and our beds are the same model from Picket and Rail :) just that ours is Queen size. We were too excited by the views and our updates so forgotten to take pics of their house ;p Well, I'm sure we'll have other opportunities :)

As they had to attend church, we left the place together with them. So since we were back at Zurich main train station, we walked towards Bellevue where a huge screen was set up for the soccer match viewing.

We were surprised to see quite a number of shops open since it's usually a dead street on Sundays. When we reached Bellevue, we saw a number of F&B tentages and a few areas with huge cushions for the soccer fans to eat and watch the matches.









The big screen at Bellevue where you have to pay in order to get seats with dinner served.

You'll see a number of soccer fans wearing their 'supportive outfits' on the streets :)





We couldn't resist the smell of grilled meat...so Uncle Tan went to buy a stick at CHF 12 which comes with a bread. There was some misunderstanding and it turned out that they only sell grilled beef, pork is in the form of sausage which I thought might as well take the beef since Uncle Tan hasn't been eating for quite some time and it's not worth it to pay CHF12 for a sausage. So, I could only smell the food and watch him eat......poor me.... ;p

I went out in the afternoon today for a walk since the sun is out and strong. Decided to go to the nearby lake to read and also to feed the ducks :) I thought I wouldn't have the chance as when I reached the place, most of them were asleep. So I just read the book until I heard a couple which swam past making some noises. So I took out my biscuits and muffins and starting feeding them :) Oh yes, the pigeons and sparrows joined in too but fortunately much later so at least I could have some private time with the mandarin ducks :)

Along the streets, I could hear cheers and see people dressed in their sports attire, some wearing the big furry colourful hats (I'm not sure whether there's a special name for such hats in various shapes and I suppose the colours represent a different country). It was quite fun to see many of them in groups, shouting out the cheers in the trams. Saw a tram E that is full of the soccer fans. Guess it's a special tram for these people. Finally there's more life to this place :)

Let's see if this would be the case when I do my grocery shopping tomorrow. This time must remember to bring my phone.

No comments: