Monday 13 August 2007

Our Rights to Fresh Air

I'm not sure how many non-smokers there are out there who shared the same exasperating experience like me - having to bear the smell of 2nd-hand smoke @ public places & unfortunately, at my own home at certain times.

I grew up in a family with 3 smokers - my grandpa, my dad & my uncle. I'm used to the smell of smoke since young & @ that time, there wasn't much awareness raised on smoking-related diseases.

There I was, about 5-6 year old, curious to try how it taste like, or rather how it feels. So I asked my grandpa if I could give it a try. Being the garang man, my grandpa of course felt that his grandaughter should try it. So I picked up the cigarette & tried a puff...Gosh! How on earth would people like such a horrible thing???

Thank goodness that was the end of it. At time I thought - adults are weird. They like beer that taste bitter & they like cigarettes that choked the lungs & tasted terrible.

Ever since the awareness on smoking-related diseases had increased, somehow, I became 'allergic' to cigarette smoke, in fact, I'm quite anti-smokers...especially the less socially conscious ones. If they have their right to smoke in public places, I think I should have the right for fresh air too.

I shun smokers. Sometimes it can be real obvious. I would walk quickly pass the person smoking in front of me whilst walking & holding my breath. Sometimes, I would fan myself so as not to smell the smoke. My real taboo - people who smoke in lifts. Imagine the smell that will linger for hours...I usually would make give a stern comment to those who smoke in the lift when I caught them red-handed. There was once I actually stepped out as the guy who holds a lighted cigarette walked into the lift. I'm not sure if he's embarrassed but I hope he did. It happened a few times with different fellas & sometimes I did not allow them to step into the lift. Don't they know it's illegal & can get FINED? I told myself to get the camera ready next time.

Well, my hubby is worried that I may get bashed up one day. Fortunately, smoking is now banned at bus shelters, air-con places & even pubs now. Otherwise I may have offended more people.

Whenever I saw a parent or an adult smoking away whilst holding on to a child, I can't help but to pity the poor one having to take in the 2nd hand smoke, which may have long term undesirable effects on his/her health.

I can never understand the reasons given by smokers for picking up smoking. It's cool? Perhaps some people might feel that having yellow teeth & a smoke breath is cool. Yeah, so cool that I would walk away from the person when he/she comes near. Can stay slim? Well, if you think staying slim is better than staying in bed for the rest of your life when cancer strikes, well it's a choice. "Aiya cancer can strike on anyone mah". Well, just like buying system 7, the chances are higher for smokers.

Pressure? Ya, you get 'relief' for a while & when the effect wears down, you still face the stress & it's double stress this time as Mr Nicotine has a say over your mind & body now. Peer pressure? Why can't it happen the other way where non-smokers pressure you into quitting? I'm not a believer of social smoking as well. I don't think I'd be an outcast if I'm the only one in the group who don't smoke. If my friends isolate me because of that, I suppose they aren't real friends then. Hmmm....maybe I should try the habit of picking my teeth & chat with my friends after I finish a meal & see if the rest would follow.

Well, if you've really no choice because of certain reasons that you can't quit or don't wana quit (like my grandpa who landed up in the hospital after trying to quit smoking after having smoked all his life. So instead of quit completely, he cut down on the numbers), then you could perhaps practice some sensitivity & civic consciousness by lighting your rod of life at less crowded areas. We will definitely appreciate that gesture & I won't disturb you for sure.

The best is of course, to quit while you're still young. Don't think it's "cool" when your body gives out the natural 'perfume' -cigarette smoke smell. Oh yeah, that kind of smell might keep the potential guy or gal miles away from you.

No comments: