Thursday 23 August 2007

A Lesson Learnt

Lately, I've been following the Taiwanese travel series "世界那么大". I was touched by the narration each time I watched. Indeed, the world is big, with so many things that I've never seen & experienced, yet at the same time, it has become smaller due to technological advancement.

What makes this travel show different from the others was the intensity of the passion, the history & culture that it has. Instead of merely showing sceneries, shopping places or food, it tells a story, & it's simply poetic.

Yesterday's episode was on Dali in Yunan & it featured the only family who does paper dyeing - a traditional trade that's dying. The host was struck by the house that was practically in red due to the dye, including the hands of the old couple. Unconvinced that the dye could not be washed off the elderly lady's hands, the host tried to wash her hands with soap & water, it simply can't be washed off.

Understandably, this was the result of many years of dyeing. To me, it depicts the simple livelihood of the old couple whose entire lifetime was spent on dyeing papers. Their simplicity, single-mindedness & jovial attitude struck a chord in me. That is also a form of happiness. I wonder if I could really live life simply. Is that possible to do so in a city? well...I'm beginning to feel guilty at the no. of shoes, bags, clothes etc that I have...

This leads to the next story about a Taiwanese lady marrying someone who comes from the Nazi tribe (hope I spelt it correctly as the prog is in Mandarin). According to the show, she was the 1st Taiwanese girl to marry a local. She said that the pace of life in the city is too fast. No one had enough time to do the things that matter. Most of the time is spent on work & the time left for the loved ones are just that much, not to mention the energy that's left.

It wasn't a "married happily everafter" story. She still has to face the pressures of making a living with her husband & supporting the family. But her attitude towards life & her committment to the marriage is something that I admired.

I guess no matter where you go, the pressures of life still exist. It's the state of mind & how one adjusts make the difference.

有,未必是幸福。
无,未必不快乐。


You could catch the trailer here.

No comments: