Monday 6 October 2008

I've Survived :)

For the past 6 months,

I've survived the cold weather;
I've survived on having bread for breakfast everyday (no fried beehoon, no fried carrot cake, no wanton mee, no yong tao fu...);
I've survivied on eating my own cooked meals almost everyday;
I've survived with a small kitchen with limited utensils;
I've survived eating lunch alone most of the time;
I've survived not talking for more than 8 hours a day (To my friends, thank you for tolerating my yakking be it when you have visited me or via email or msn :>);
I've survived watching their German channels;
I've survived living in a country where I do not understand their national language - German or Swiss German;
I've survived eating chocolates without having any pimples haha :D ;
I've survived climbing numerous stairs and elevated hikes;
I've survived tolerating the garbage which is only cleared once a week;
I've survived in a place where shops close at 6pm and on Sundays and...
I've survived two 12-hour flights!

Actually no big deal lah, cos Zurich is quite similar to Singapore - it's a cosmopolitan city, generally safe and shares similar standard of living as (or maybe higher than) Singapore.

We're still trying to orientate ourselves for the past 5 days. Unpacking, retrieving our luggages from our friends, cleaning the house, meeting families to pass chocolates and souvenirs, getting the basic groceries and toiletries...

Uncle Tan said our noses and armpits have been telling us to go back to Zurich ;p We've been sneezing for the past few days and Ah Kin has been feeling sticky throughout the day. She doesn't shiver after the shower, nor does she need to put on a cardi on an air-con bus or in a shopping mall :) But once the body adjusts back to the tropical climate, everything would be back to normal. Which, may not be a bad thing especially when you think about the underams hahaha ;D

My bowel system has gone a little haywire where the urge can come at 1am. I couldn't sleep until it's past 12am. I have to readjust to the food here which both of us found it weird that we do not have any cravings for the food here. I was pretty turned off by the smell in the food court though that happened even before I left for Switzerland. And no, I'm NOT preggy. I have a keen sense of smell so I don't like a mixture of strong food smells in a confined space.

I still have the problem of "what to eat for breakfast". I realised that our breakfast are kinda unhealthy - chwee queh, fried carrot cake, fried bee hoon...the oil in them somehow didn't whet my apetitte. I've been eating soupy stuff for the past few days. We've also noticed that for those stalls whose prices didn't increase, the amount they give seem to dwindle. We were disappointed with the famous roasted meat stall at Lor 1 coffeeshop. When I opened up my packet of char siew rice, the amount of meat was miserable, not to mention that most were fatty meat, which I think Ms Sui would be a happier customer :)

A visit to the nearest confectionary shop - Cake History. How I wish they could be simpler breads. I hardly can find a simple piece of sausage bread without any other condiments. There's one at Bread Talk which apparently, the price has increased from $1.20 to $1.40.

A visit to NTUC - the selection of fruits is limited. Now with Fuji apples from China out of my marketing list, I have even less fruits to choose from. I wonder if I still have any vegetables to buy if I were to leave vegetables from China out from my marketing list.

With food becoming scarce, what those companies in China have done is utterly a waste of resources.

No comments: