Tuesday 21 October 2008

Am I the only one?

A walk down to pack lunch back on a weekday.

People, people and more people. Is it a Central thing or has Singapore become overly crowded?

At night I went down to pack dinner back. I had to meander my ways though before I can get to the food court.

And worse, everywhere I go be it NTUC, food court, shopping malls, crossing the streets...I can see and hear Ah Tiongs everywhere.

I know I shouldn't 一竹竿打翻整船人 and I may have biased views. But why so? Why them and not the rest? And no, I'm definitely not jealous of their wealth or their intelligence.

They have not done anything to me (yet) but I've heard many stories where my friends and their friends were the victims. I have read enough in the news of the scams.

The lip-singing saga at the Olympics, the fake goods, the tainted food items, the on-going corruption even at official level, the scams, the 'crows' and 'dragon ladies', the table tennis team saga......

Yet, they still feel righteous about it. And some of the victims, especially the old men, still thought they were not being cheated and claim to have lent them the money willingly. Yet we still have to accept the fact that more of them are coming here to stay. Does being the next super power nation give them the right to behave in this manner? That no matter what they do, we still have to treat them nice for we depended on them for the survival of our economy?

I was told to forgive them for they have suffered much in their homeland. But that doesn't justify such immoral acts. I do not despise them for being poor, for not being sophisticated...but I've lost respect for them. They feel they are so 'self-righteous', so full of themselves and what I detest most is the lack of morals and resorting to dishonest ways just to get what they want.

Where has the Confucius teachings gone? My friend, Donna, has highlighted that our forefathers were from there too but they came here, worked hard and earn an honest day's living. What has happened?

I may sound a agitated and perhaps some might think I'm a little extreme in my views. But from the conversations I've had with my friends and family, I could sense the dissatisfactions too. Just that like what most typical Singaporeans would choose to do - just keep quiet and live with it. Mind your own business and don't get into trouble.

I'm not trying to stir up any anti-Chinese sentiments. But looking at the rate they are flocking in, it's a matter of time strong emotions will erupt if this is not managed properly. I want to have my say, this is the place where I grow up, where I have my friends and families and I really hate to see it becoming like another China.

I know no matter where I go, they'll be everywhere. But right now, I just feel that Singapore is really getting ridiculously populated. I just hope the officials know what they are in for by attracting so many so-called foreign talents.

If any Chinese happen to be reading this, I know you might feel offended. But please understand my frustrations. I'm trying my best to cope. I'm just worried that I might just let it all out one day if all my grievances have no avenues to let off steam.

No comments: