Tuesday 1 July 2008

MxxTV? Reconsider...

My subscription with MxxTV has expired recently. I was stupid enough to subscribe a 3-mth package at one go. Only to realise that:

1. Downloading is slow - make sure you have a real good broadband width, otherwise they will reply you that it's the ISP issue, not MxxTV's problem.

2. Make sure you're using MS Explorer and not Firefox, cos their system is only more compatible to Explorer.

3. Only can watch local productions. Forget about your Korean shows or overseas shows as they are a separate package. Or those who watch Jap animes, you can forget about it also.

4. Once you've sign in, need a few clicks before you find your show/episode to download it. You need to remember which episodes you have already downloaded.

5. At one time, you can upload only 2 shows. After which, you'll need to log in again for their verification and security reasons. Such as service I thought only the banks are good at, I didn't know MxxTV has so much security. Probably they are worried your account may get hacked.

6. When you want to watch the show after the downloading has completed, you need to verify your password again in order to 'get your access rights' to view the show. So poor me have to do these steps after each shows I've downloaded.

7. Your right to view will expire together with your subscription - so you can only watch so much. Plus, they don't download that many programmes per day. But if you like to watch the past shows, yes, you can take your time to download those but be sure to finish watching them before your subsciption expires.

Due to the instability of my network at times, I usually would download the shows first and watch them at a later date (since the downloading also take some time) and this was also mentioned to them in my email when I was complaining about the streaming issues. SOoooo, I happily download as many shows as I can so that I could watch it for the remaining 3 mths here. And to think that the so-called 'rights to view' also expires together with my subscription! So ALL the shows I've downloaded for the past 3 mths have become 'unwatchable'.

Their reply:
All MxxTV videos are acquired and licensed as they're copyrighted materials. As such, it is important that we protect the Intellectual Property rights of the content owners (which is none other than you know which TV station). When you subscribe to our plans, you are only licensed to watch and not own. This is similar to a typical DVD rental. Once your subscription expires, you cannot play the videos since your ability to watch depends on the validity of the Subscription period; and the expiry of the content titles. This are documented in our official postings in our forums (see, must read their 'bible'); and users can check on them before signing up. In fact, we do reply to users who query us before subscribing. (Yes, i should have done more homework before subscribing and shouldn't trust them so much to deliver proper service.)

When I wrote my final comment and ask why this wasn't highlighted to me earlier when I did mention before, their reply:

When users email us, our intention is to address the issue concerned. In some cases, we do include additional information that we think may be useful for users. Unless users specifically tell us the exact details of their questions, it is not practical to include all known information that may amount to tens of pages, just for one question. Instead, to
save time and the trees (aren't I using email correspondence?), users can always check on them in our forum when necessary. This will be more effective as well. (using the 'bible' again)

So, it's your responsibility to read everything and do everything yourself for the reply I receive was "The forum is setup to allow users to self-service. Many of the issues users posted have already been replied previously. Users can always pro-actively do a search and check for similar issues and resolutions before posting them. Although we do reply the forum posting
more freuqently, the official support is still at xxx@mxxtv.sg " I didn't know that the forum which was meant to be for discussion has evolved into more of a FAQ corner instead.

So it seems that I haven't been proactive enough, I only know how to send my queries to the official support, which, in any case, isn't of much help at all.


If you still wana subscribe their service after reading all these, be sure that you read ALL their entries in the forum for it's their 'bible' where all the technical queries by existing subscribers are there for you to read and understand before you key in your credit card number. I would STRONGLY recommend you to read their forum as you'll notice most of the queries are technical issues.

One more thing, don't be too happy when you click on their so-called "MxxTV wizard page where users can test their system for compatibility" and you pass the test - I did all that and yet still face problems. Well, blame it on me for using the latest Vista.

No comments: