Tuesday 8 July 2008

Latin Music Festival - Caliente!



It could have been a day of getting cheap, good deals but because of my 'good friend's' visit in the morning which had caused excruciating pain and extended stay in the wc. I guess I still need to watch my diet and exercise even though the chinese herbs my friend has recommended has performed a miracle for me last month...for those who know my history, you'll know what I mean.

So no more cabbage+cucumber+beer+bittergord+ice-cream+cool sparkling water all at one go. I was too arrogant and over-estimated the power of the chinese herbs.

Panadol didn't do its wonders this time. Perhaps I should have taken 2 tabs instead of 1 but I'd prefer not to rely too much on pills and tried to endure the pain. Fortunately with the help of heat packs and a hot soupy lunch, the pain subsided.

We went downtown later when I felt much better as Uncle Tan wana check if H&M still sells the shirt that he bought earlier as he would like to buy another piece. Well, ended up he bought 3 different shirts at a go! Not easy to find his size as most are in M, L and XL.

He was a happy man, albeit a little poorer one after that haha :D I like it when he has his shopping moods cos at least he won't be a wandering 'soul' tagging behind me when I shop ;p


Afternoon tea @ Manor Restaurant - located at top level of Manor shopping mall.












They serve a wide variety of food in this branch as compared to the one at Lucerne and they have a good selection of fruits and deserts.










I love their nectarine tarts and nectarine pies ;d



Uncle Tan always takes me in my worst angles...




Caliente!
A 3-day Latin Music Festival consisting of dance shows, jam sessions, Latin art, percussion and Latin markets with exotic food and tropical drinks.

It was almost 5pm when we reached Helvetiaplatz and it was already quite happening when we arrived with a crowd and various performances and loud Cuban Jazz, Mambo, Salsa, Samba etc. from the various stalls.

Saw this kungfu style street dance at the entrance.

They sure get the best view :)

There are many shops here selling various stuff from Africa, Brazil, Thailand, perhaps maybe from Indonesia even.

This guy really looked like a statue.
I quite like some of the jewellery stuff she has but it was kinda pricey - a pair of earrings easily cost CHF55 onwards. Guess I can't compare their prices to our pasar malams'. In fact, the stuff they sell here are pricer than those you can find in shops.

Still hoping to find some cheap deals... ;p
Pizza - fresh from the fire oven.

The smell of roasted chickens......

Caipirinha - Brazil's national cocktail, made with cachça, sugar and lime. Cachaça is Brazil's most common distilled alcoholic beverage. Like rum, it is made from sugarcane alcohol, obtained from the fermentation of sugarcane juice which is distilled.

Even thou I had a bad cramp in the morning, I still wanted to try, just a small sip hehe...and fortunately it was cos the alcohol was That strong...

They had a number of Thai stalls here too besides the local food and some Mexican, African, Brazillian food etc.
Don't this look familiar to those who have been to Thailand?

Grilled meat and corn... :d``

Something would be missing without these mobile bars.



One of the street performances.


I like this one, very calming music which makes you think of faraway land. Any idea what's the name of this tribe?

Bands singing whilst the people danced to the music.
I guess it would be very very crowded and happening as the night draws near.

CHF 1 for a cup of beer, the cheapest we find here. But of course it'd be cheaper to get it from the supermarts :)


Uncle Tan posing in front of a pink condom. Can you see it hanging on the coconut tree behind? ;p


And we met our ex-neighbour, Noeline and her hubby Ernest here :)


Noeline eating the yummy 'satay' beef which I just couldn't resist the smell and the juices it oozed...Aiyo, I smiled like 'Donkey' in Shrek...

Dunno why I have cravings for crepe since I came here. I still prefer the one I ate at Koh Samui thou :)

We went to the kebab shop near our apt for dinner. It's near to Bahnhof Wiedikon train station. The shot of this with his shop's name "Tic-Tac imbiss" was taken by the boss.

We like their kebab for it's one of the cheapest around and tastes good. Also, they are open everyday and till quite late. They also have pide, borek (aka our mutabak except I think it's healthier with less oil and yet tasty and crispy). and other local stuff. We patronize the shop pretty often until the boss has become Uncle Tan's friend :)

The boss is a cute old man who speaks only German and very very little English. A friendly fella and he even treated us tea :)

No comments: