Thursday 14 January 2010

Unforgettable 2010

The results are out - I have contracted TB.

Before you get freaked out, the doc said there aren't cavities and from the first sputum test result which indicated that I was not contagious. She also said my colleagues need not go for screening when I asked if it's required. Surprisingly, the medical social worker told me that I don't need to separate utensils from Uncle Tan, even thou I had been doing that since I caught the flu last Dec which is a usual practice for us whenever either of us are unwell.

How does one get TB?
Based on the article from MedicineNet.com, a person can become infected with tuberculosis bacteria when he or she inhales minute particles of infected sputum from the air. The bacteria gets into the air when someone who has a tuberculosis lung infection coughs, sneezes, shouts, or spits. People who are nearby can then possibly breathe the bacteria into their lungs. You don't get TB by just touching the clothes or shaking the hands of someone who is infected. Tuberculosis is spread primarily from person to person by breathing infected air during close contact.

So next time I see people spitting illegally, they are sure gonna get it from me.

Treatment is a long process and a tedious one as it requires daily visits to the nearest polyclinics to take medication (fortunately only once a day and unfortunately 7 pills in all) for the next 2 months followed by a visit to the TB centre for another xray and sputum test. Thereafter, treatment will reduce to 3X a week for the next 4 mths.

So goodbyes to my Switzerland holidays in May...I won't be able to travel until I have completed my course of medication which will take 6 mths if I'm doing well, if not 9-12 mths. Am hoping I'll have no side effects from taking the medication and perferably it will make me eat more :)

Ah Kin initially was scared especially when told she had TB by the doc, she could not believe her ears. But I guess at least there's a closure now. At least I know why I'm still not completely recovered from my cough.

To my family members, friends and colleagues who have showered me with their concerns, Thank You :) I really appreciate your prayers, well-wishes, support, encouragement and advice.

I still have 2 crownings and one potential filling to be done...I wonder when it will end......

Indeed, health is very important. Can't stress more on that and thou Ah Kin has been eating healthy food and avoiding unhealthy ones, healthy lifestyle is one habit I haven't quite picked up yet.

No comments: